The Veterinary Hospital standard represents the highest accredited standard of veterinary practice in the UK.
South Devon Veterinary Hospital is inspected and accredited by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) as part of the Practice Standards Scheme. We are the only Veterinary Hospital in Teignbridge. Only a very small proportion of veterinary practices in the UK have achieved this level.
What does the accreditation mean?
We have voluntarily agreed to a regular and intensive inspections by independent inspectors appointed by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS). The main inspections are held every 4 years, with spot-checks in between at any time. The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) is the regulator for the veterinary profession in the UK.
There are three levels of accreditation:
- RCVS Core Standards (the most basic level)
- RCVS General Practice
- RCVS Veterinary Hospital (the highest level)
What is assessed in the Veterinary Hospital standard?
To be accredited as a hospital – for either small animals or equine patients – a veterinary practice must meet Core Standards, plus those of the relevant General Practice. In addition it must, among other things:
- Ensure nursing staff are present on the premises round the clock, and a veterinary surgeon available 24 hours a day to attend to in-patients, if required.
At South Devon Veterinary Hospital fully qualified (not trainee) members of the veterinary team are always on site and responsible for the care of in-patients. Many veterinary practices have nobody on the premises after the end of evening surgery or over nights, bank holidays, and weekends to look after pets who need to remain with them.
- Provide a range of specialist equipment, such as specific diagnostic equipment (ECG and ultrasound).
South Devon Veterinary Hospital’s state of the art facilities far exceed the set standard and include facilities such as: an on site CT scanner; minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery theatre; advanced ophthalmic facilities including those for cataract surgery; high resolution digital dental radiography; a dedicated endoscopy suite with medical grade video-endoscopes.
- Submit to rigorous examination of its premises and facilities, with emphasis on cleanliness and sterility.
- Maintain and improve clinical standards by monitoring performance and the outcome of treatments.
More information about the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme
The following video provides more information about the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme and you can also learn more about the scheme on the RCVS website.